syntax highlight

Thursday 14 February 2013

Monitor file changes on a CLI

The other day I had a problem with a config file being overwritten. Some process, I did not know which one, was overwriting a configuration file I manually changed. Annoyed by this, I started looking for the culprit. lsof was no good, because that would list the open files; this process would most likely just open the file, write to it and then close it again. My chances of ever catching this process in the act were nil. Luckily I found auditd. Install it like this:

sudo apt-get install auditd

Then to monitor a file you can use the following command:

sudo auditctl -w $FILE -p war

Wait until $FILE has changed, then execute this command to get the results:

ausearch -f $FILE

Voila, now you have your culprit. Kill -9 at will.

No comments:

Post a Comment